Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of beetle bit me?

Question
Bug that bit me
Bug that bit me  
I live in Florida and today I felt something bite me in my shirt. I looked and found this dark brown (beetle?) bug with gold spots on it. I was wondering if you could tell me what it is called. When I took the picture it looks purple and green but it's actually dark brown, possibly black with gold spots. The gold looks almost like someone painted real gold on it. It bit my hip and it didn't leave a mark or anything but I'm just curious as to what it is called.
Thanks :)

Answer
Dear Shelby - This appears to be Actenodes auronotata, a metallic wood-boring beetle (Coleoptera: Buprestidae) - see http://tinyurl.com/mg8xd5o for an image. They have very strong jaws (as you likely noticed) that they use for chewing into the wood where they lay their eggs. Their bite is of no consequence to humans.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad