Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Large orange beetle

Question
photo
photo  

photo1
photo1  
I saw this beetle in my garden today (see pic). It was about 1cm long and looked like a huge orange ladybug. It is orange with black spots and a shiny all black head. I saw it on the leaf and stem of a cone flower in southeast Wisconsin (just northwest of Milwaukee). There was only the one beetle that I saw. Do you know what it is?

Answer
Hi, Kathy:

Thanks for including the images, but your description alone was good enough to lead me to the same conclusion as the pictures....

The beetle is the Swamp Milkweed Leaf Beetle, Labidomera clivicollis .  Here's more about this common insect:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/2970

It is also included in our Kaufman Field Guide, page 160 :-)

I don't think I have ever found more than one on any occasion, either, which seems unusual for leaf beetles.  Most Chrysomelids "flock" together by the dozens or even hundreds on a host plant.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton