Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Little Flying Bugs

little bugs
little bugs  
I recently moved into a new apartment in Wisconsin. Whenever I have the window to my bedroom open a very small type of flying bug comes in. There are tons of them that slip in through the screen and land on my blue bed comforter. They seem to love the color of the comforter because that is the main thing they land on. I have had the window closed for the past few days and am still finding them. It's getting to be a real nuisance. I have attached a picture of the bugs, and if you could tell me what kind of bug this is and any advice on getting rid of the huge number of them. I mainly see them at night as they are attracted to my bedroom light. I've had the window closed and curtain pulled for the past few days now and am still seeing these bugs. They are also extremely hard to kill because they have an almost shell like thing on them.  

Hi, Susan:

Very difficult to make out much detail in the image, but I am certain they are beetles, and likely one of the "stored product pest" species.  So, they are likely coming from somewhere inside rather than from out-of-doors.

Likely suspects include:

Red Flour Beetles or Confused Flour Beetles:

some kind of grain beetle in the family Silvanidae:

The beetles in the image do not appear to be Drugstore Beetles or Cigarette Beetles, which can also be common indoors.

You need to find the source of the infestation, likely in your pantry, and discard the item(s).  Store vulnerable foodstuffs in glass, metal, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids, to protect against future problems.  There really isn't much you can do about products that are infested in storage warehouses *before* you purchase them, but I do suggest reporting infested packages to the grocery where you purchased them, and to the manufacturer.

For a concrete identification, please take the bag of intact specimens to an entomologist at a university (U of Wisconsin has a great entomology department), natural history museum, state department of agriculture, or even the public health department (vector control division will have at least one staff entomologist).  He or she can then put them under a microscope and render a more informed verdict than I can here.

Good luck!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.