Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Mystery infestation

Question
bug 1
bug 1  

bug 2
bug 2  
These small bugs (1-3mm) are crawling around a rock fireplace.  It seems hundreds have died on the mantle.  These were photographed on the mortar or rock.  Don't seem to be anywhere else in the house.  Probably there for a few months but we though the debris on the mantle was flaked off mortar or moss/lichen.   House built in 1968.  Denver CO.  The rock runs from the roof down through attic and into our livingroom.  Some seem to have more red colored head and some more grey.

Answer
Dear Mike - I cannot see enough detail in your images to be confident of an identification. They bear a superficial resemblance to booklice (Psocodea: Liposcelidae) - see http://tinyurl.com/pzvplt3 for an example, but the legs on your specimens seem unusually long for those insects. Rather than me guessing, I suggest that you use a moistened toothpick, Q-Tip, or similar object to place some of these in a small container of rubbing alcohol and take them to your county office of Colorado State University's Cooperative Extension Service - see http://tinyurl.com/bzw6q5
for contact information. Someone there should be able either to assist in identification and provide any needed control recommendations, or could forward the specimens to the appropriate university office. In any case, your critters likely will fall into the category of nuisance pests in that although they are unlikely to cause any real damage, you really don't wish to share your living quarters with them.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad