Entomology (Study of Bugs)/pictures of bugs mainly in bed and pillowtopper

Question
1
1  

2
2  
Spotted a bug a couple of weeks ago and last night found my pillow topper and captains bed almost crawling with them. I vaccuumed dusted and bagged up everything that I did not discard. I haven't noticed bites on my body. Took a couple pictures of the bugs. They also jump sometimes. I am from northwest Iowa. Haven't seen them anywhere else. Want to treat and be rid of!

Answer
Lauren,

These are springtails (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/springtails.html). They often enter homes following heavy rains or during extremely dry conditions but normally live in the soil where they feed on fungi. They are harmless and do not infest homes. Sweeping them up is all that is needed.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis