Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Re: Identification of bug

Hello! I need help identifying this bug that was in my house.  My mother was over and we were trying to inspect it and took a picture.  My mother tried killing it and it flew away and was making a buzzing sound.  I'll include the picture below. Thanks for your help

This is a species of Mud Dauber wasp.  They seek out and find various species of spiders, including black widow spiders and stuff them into their mud nests.  The wasp then lays an egg on the spiders and closes the mud nest.  The wasp larva feeds on the spiders and develops into an adult wasp.

These wasps are generally considered harmless, but they may sting if handled.  They are NOT aggressive.  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs

I currently live in San Antonio, TX and have expertise in identifying insects, many types of spiders, and other arthropod critters that infest lawns, ornamentals, structures, trees, pets and livestock. Mites are not a strong point of mine. I'm not a licensed doctor, so I cannot provide medical diagnosis of conditions possibly related to insects or other arthropods. If you've got an interesting photo for me to see, attach it to your question, or let me know and I'll give you my email so the picture will get to me. If you have hosted an insect photo on a website, please include the link so I can go look at it and provide a faster ID for you. You may also join my group page on Facebook and post your picture at

22+ years' experience as an entomologist: 5 years as a biologist with Merck Animal Health (I was part of the R&D team that worked to develop FrontLine flea and tick products) and 7 years as an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Specialist in San Antonio, Texas with Texas Cooperative Extension.

Veterinary Parasitology, Southwestern Entomologist, San Antonio Express News, San Antonio Gardener Newsletter, Master Gardener SCION Newsletter, GardenStyleSA e-Newsletter

BS - Entomology from Texas A&M University in 1992.

Board Certified Entomologist, 1996-2000 - Medical and Veterinary Entomology Specialty (Entomological Society of America)

2000 Texas A&M University Vice Chancellor's Award in Excellence for leadership on the Texas Fire Ant Program Educational Team.