Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small roaches


QUESTION: I have lived in my house for 16 years and all of a sudden I have found small (1/8" to 1/4") sized roaches in our bathroom. They are usually dead because i keep the yard and foundation sprayed.  I have attempted to seal up the plumbing and openings that i see in the cabinets.  i also have placed some bait in the walls and few other places.  I went a few days without seeing anything until lastnight.  I saw one on the cabinet but it was not moving to get out of the light or away from me.  not sure if it was in the process of dying.  I line in Texas and it is hot and dry outside.  I think one got in and layed eggs.  is there anything else i could do to get them out?  i have read other info on the net but I would like an expert on Entomology to give me suggestions on this matter.  thanks.


Can you post a picture of the roaches? Also, take a look at this page http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroaches.html about cockroaches and cockroach control. Baits are the best option for roach control. In a warm climate like Texas cockroaches can also survive outside so weatherized baits may be a good idea for around the foundation rather than sprays (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cockroach_baits.html). Post a follow up if you have questions.

Jack DeAngelis

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

Small roach 1
Small roach 1  

small roach 2
small roach 2  
QUESTION: here are a few pics of some I found when I got home today.

These are immature (juveniles) roaches so I think it is likely that the infestation is originating indoors since immatures would not venture as far from the harborage (hiding) area. Finding immatures in the open can sometimes mean that the infestation is well developed and the youngest members of the population are being forced out of hiding areas by overcrowding. You'll want to treat this aggressively with both baits and crack and crevice treatments as discussed in the pages cited above.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.


20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.