Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider

Question
Spider
Spider  
Poulsbo, Washington, 10 September 2013, 11:41am

We have around six of these spiders now living on the outside of our house. Today the neighbors had an exterminator around spraying the exterior of their house.  Is this a spider I should worry about?  We have kids and a dog.  Will this spider, or its offspring, become a problem?  Are they poisonous?  Will they multiply?  

We just recently moved to this area and are not familiar with this particular spider.  Any information you can pass along is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Tom:

Wow, wanted to keep a safe distance, eh?

The only thing I can tell from the image is that the spider is an orb weaver, family Araneidae.  They build the wheel-shaped webs outdoors.

There is NO orb weaver of any kind that is dangerously venomous to people or pets.  In fact, they are far better at pest control than any exterminator.  It is a pity that your neighbors are so ill-informed.

I lived in Oregon the first half of my life and there was virtually nothing dangerous there.  Yes, there is the Western Black Widow, but that is it.

The "hobo spider" has not been proven to be dangerously venomous, either.  In fact, it is considered totally harmless in its native Europe.  There may be some kind of necrotic bacterium associated with populations of this spider in the Pacific Northwest, accounting for alleged bites that produce slow-to-heal, gaping wounds.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton