Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Weird bug

Question
yellow worm/bug
yellow worm/bug  
Sir,

I live in HUntsville, AL and saw this bug crossing a road yesterday in my neighborhood.  I have not been able to find anything about it online and I was wondering if you could help me in this please?  It was crawling with the hole body on the ground at first and when I stopped and turned towards it, it picked up its head and looked at me. Thank you for you time in this.

Lane

Answer
Lane,

This is a caterpillar and the dark "eyes" are called eyespots. The eyespots are on the back end of the caterpillar and are used to fool potential predators like birds into thinking it is a snake. That's why it reared up when you approached. They are of course harmless.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis