Entomology (Study of Bugs)/book lice

Question
Hi Jessica,

I read in a previous question that you answered that nook lice were only harmful If ingested. How are they harmful. I might have unknowingly ingested some. They were in the bathroom on my toothbrush. I have looked all over and I found one mention that they can carriers of sheep tape worm?

Thank you,
Donna

Answer
Hi Donna,

I donít think you should worry at all about eating a few booklice. I try to discourage people from eating household pests, such as booklice that get into pantry foods, because often they are treated with chemicals, which you donít want to ingest yourself. If you have used any poison to help control your infestation, then you may want to make a point to avoid ingesting any more.

I have not heard that booklice can carry tapeworms, but I suppose it is possible. I still wouldn't worry unless you start showing symptoms.

Thanks,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger