Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bright, almost glowing(radiant), curious, hornet/bee like unknown flying bug

Question
There's this bright golden or orangish(almost glowing) bodied huge hornet/bee-like bug with dark brown striping on its abdomen. Exceptionally beautiful bug--you'll be hard pressed to find a more beautiful bug. It must be about 1-1.5 inches long. As far as I know, it only travels in groups of 1. Does alight often in plain view. Will even land on people--boots, if you are quiet enough). Seems very peaceful[not nervous at all like the wasp, hornet, or bumble bee--acts more like a cross between a European honey bee(peaceful) and a hummingbird(hovers as if curious)--as far as behavior] and will hover around you in the same exact spot until you move close enough to it. In which case, it will find another spot very close nearby. It seems to be examining you. I've never seen a curious bee like bug before. I know that it's not the Japanese Hornet; it's not like that nor does it look like that. ANY IDEAS? WHAT COULD IT BE?

Answer
Marcus:

It would certainly help to have an image of the insect, but I strongly suspect you are talking about a "hover fly," specifically this one:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-news-bee.html

If that is not it, then I am at a loss for other suspects given your description of its behavior.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton