Entomology (Study of Bugs)/BROWN BUG ON MY BED SHEET HELP

Bug on bed
Bug on bed  
I just saw this bug crawling on my bed sheet at 10 pm today. First I felt something on my arm then I slapped my arm and it fell on the bed. I'm so terrified it's bed bugs please help I don't even want to lay down on my bed. I checked under the bed and I didn't see nothing. What is this :( thanks so much

Hi, Genesis:

Thank you for including the image with your question.  It is NOT, repeat NOT, a bed bug.

The insect is either a "Drugstore Beetle" or a "Cigarette Beetle."  Here's more:

and some information on control of them:

Information on control of the Drugstore Beetle, and I'm pretty certain that is what you have, also applies to the Cigarette Beetle.

So, no worries.  The beetles do not pose a threat to the health of you, your family, or pets, though they *can* be indicators of products contaminated by mold or mildew or fungi, and *that* can be dangerous.  So, throw out any infested items.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.