Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug?

bug with coin
bug with coin  

bug enlarged
bug enlarged  
Hi Jack,

This is the first time for me seeing this bug in my apartment after four years of living here. It was crawling leisurely on my blanket until I spotted it. Sometimes I see just a red/pink bug bite like that of mosquitos' on my leg when I wake up in the morning. However, unlike what I've known of bed bugs and mosquitos, the bites usually disappear within a few hours and only appear in the unit of one (for sure no more than two). I've checked my bed and rooms for signs for bed bug but came up empty, so I suspect they were spider bites.

Could you please tell me what kind of bug this is? And if it is related to the bug bites I've been getting infrequently.

thank you,

The specimen is too damaged to be certain but I think this is a carpet beetle larva (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for photos), it is not a bed bug. These larvae do not bite but do have urticating hairs that can irritate sensitive skin.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology