Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug Identification Crazy

Insect 1
Insect 1  

Insect 2
Insect 2  
I have amassed a collection of some quite nice photographs of a large # of insects (and spiders). I have properly identified most of them (with several books, including Kauffman)but I am stuck on multiple unusual bugs and the confusing wasps (I have so many wasp creatures and trying to figure who is exactly who is mind boggling). And then there are the hoppers... holy moly! I'll attach two examples... How can I finalize this identification before going totally gaga? All photos, by the way, are in a natural setting, not any sort of "set up." Thanks a million - Paula

I would suggest posting your "mystery bug" images to in "ID Request," or even try one of the Facebook groups like "Bugs and Slugs of the Eastern U.S."

One unfortunate problem with Bugguide is that some of the volunteer editors there have no tact and end up turning off a lot of new users.  Others are very welcoming, but the overall climate on the site is one of snobbishness now, I fear.  Sad, because it started out much more friendly, even to casual users who just wanted one insect or spider identified....

Meanwhile, I can tell you that Insect 1 is a moth of some kind.  I know there is a Facebook group called "Mothing and Moth-watching" that helps *me* out quite a bit, usually within a matter of hours after I post something.

Insect 2 is a "fishfly," maybe this one:

I'm afraid you have stumbled upon two of the groups for which I am definitely *not* an expert.  Sorry!

Do you have a website or photo-sharing site that you use?  I could probably look it over and verify your existing identifications if you like.

Thanks for sharing your passion for arthropods!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.