Entomology (Study of Bugs)/California bug

Question
bug
bug  

bug2
bug2  
Hi, Jessica.  I live in the San Francisco south bay area and have found this bug in my home, specifically my bedroom, twice now in the past two weeks.  The photo I'm attaching is zoomed in to a close up, and was taken after I squished it in a napkin.  But even after I had squished it flat, it was able to walk around, it was really weird.  Can you please identify it for me and tell me how to find it's entry into my home or what keeps it alive in my home.  I have a small dog so I was worried that it was a tick.  And like I said, this is the second one I've found recently.  Thanks for you help in advance!

Answer
Hello Chawn,

The photo isn't of a tick. I am sorry to tell you that you have bed bugs, which can be tricky to get rid of. You need to take care of the problem as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Clean your sheets and any clothes that are near the bed. Check your mattress and carpet (if you have one) very closely for bugs and eggs. If you only have a couple bugs, then you should be able to get rid of them yourself. However, if you see more than a couple and if you see any eggs, it would be best to call a professional to help you exterminate them.

Good luck.

Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger