Entomology (Study of Bugs)/California bug

Hi, Jessica.  I live in the San Francisco south bay area and have found this bug in my home, specifically my bedroom, twice now in the past two weeks.  The photo I'm attaching is zoomed in to a close up, and was taken after I squished it in a napkin.  But even after I had squished it flat, it was able to walk around, it was really weird.  Can you please identify it for me and tell me how to find it's entry into my home or what keeps it alive in my home.  I have a small dog so I was worried that it was a tick.  And like I said, this is the second one I've found recently.  Thanks for you help in advance!

Hello Chawn,

The photo isn't of a tick. I am sorry to tell you that you have bed bugs, which can be tricky to get rid of. You need to take care of the problem as quickly and thoroughly as possible. Clean your sheets and any clothes that are near the bed. Check your mattress and carpet (if you have one) very closely for bugs and eggs. If you only have a couple bugs, then you should be able to get rid of them yourself. However, if you see more than a couple and if you see any eggs, it would be best to call a professional to help you exterminate them.

Good luck.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior