Entomology (Study of Bugs)/cockroaches and other bugs

Question
I just found out that a tenant in my apartment building has been hoarding and is being evicted. All I can picture is cockroaches crawling around in the hoard and making their way into other apartments. I haven't seen anything but then again I've heard that  they are nocturnal and sneaky. What should I look for and should I talk to my landlord about spraying for bugs? Are there any precautions that I could take? I live in Montana so I don't know if they are common here or what type is common here.

Answer
German cockroaches are the most common cockroach species that is associated with man.  They aren't always in a place just because of hoarding, etc...

When I was in college, I lived in an apartment complex that was cockroach free until some folks moved in that were from Asia.  After that, it wasn't long until the entire building had cockroaches.  I imagine that there were some roaches in their furniture that served as the "seeds."

Cockroaches prefer darkness and humidity, but will be active in daytime hours if they are in a dark place, like the inside of an apartment or house.  It is true that cockroaches avoid light and will disappear when a light is shined on them or the lights are turned on.

The most effective treatment programs for cockroaches involve the use of baiting systems and removal of easily available foods and crumbs.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs