Entomology (Study of Bugs)/dangerous spider uk

Is this one of those biting false widows..im having a freak out moment as its building a nest

I can't see this clearly enough to be certain. The key characters are markings on the top of the abdomen which are not visible in this photo. While all spiders can bite there's been a great deal of media hype in the UK about the false widow spider and the bite. Suffice it to say the bite is not nearly as common or as dangerous as the media would have you believe. Having said that, the best way to control indoor spiders is with sticky traps (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/spider_tp.html for info). So if you are interested in controlling any of these spiders, false widow or not, that's where I'd start.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology