Entomology (Study of Bugs)/dangerous spider uk

Question
spider
spider  
Is this one of those biting false widows..im having a freak out moment as its building a nest

Answer
Laura,

I can't see this clearly enough to be certain. The key characters are markings on the top of the abdomen which are not visible in this photo. While all spiders can bite there's been a great deal of media hype in the UK about the false widow spider and the bite. Suffice it to say the bite is not nearly as common or as dangerous as the media would have you believe. Having said that, the best way to control indoor spiders is with sticky traps (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/spider_tp.html for info). So if you are interested in controlling any of these spiders, false widow or not, that's where I'd start.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis