Entomology (Study of Bugs)/found in house

not sure
not sure  
what type of spider is this ?  san pablo california

Hello Orane,

Thanks for the very clear photo. It looks to me like a wolf spider. You can verify my identification by looking at the arrangement of the spider's eyes. There should be three rows of eyes: one with 4 small eyes, a middle row with 2 large eyes, and a top row with 2 smaller eyes. See: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8506937@N05/4682587135/

Wolf spiders are common in CA. They are hunters who live in the ground, but sometimes come inside buildings when the weather starts getting cooler in the fall. They are not dangerous to humans, but can deliver a painful bite if they feel threatened, so I would recommend that you don't handle them with your bare hands.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior