Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identity of bug?

Question
I live in Western PA. For several years I have noticed cone shaped holes by a foundation wall. Also under a large pine tree. In both areas the soil is very soft. I have seen a bug or insect in or around them. At the bottom of the hole, there appears to be a hole about an eighth of an inch in diameter that continues straight down. Depth of that hole is unknown. The cone shaped hole is approximately three quarters of an inch in diameter at the top and gets to one eighth at the bottom. Do you have any idea as to what bug or insect causes this? By the house wall there are maybe 15 to 20, and under the pine tree about the same.

Answer
Mike:

You are describing the pit traps of antlion larvae, family Myrmeleontidae, also known as "doodlebugs."  It is only members of the genus Myrmeleon in North America that dig those funnel-shaped pits.  Here's more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/71449

I also plan to do a blog post on these eventually (http://bugeric.blogspot.com).

Thanks for sharing your observations.  I remember seeing pictures of antlions in books when I was growing up, and I expected the pits to be about the size of a saucer at their broadest point.  Ha!  There was no indication of size in those illustrations.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton