Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Maggots as if from nowhere

Question
I was in my basement and found about 10 maggots on the lid of a Rubbermaid container. A search didn't reveal any more or any type of food source. How did they get there? I thought eggs were laid in organic material and in higher numbers. I am perplexed by this and worried there are more somewhere else.

Answer
Hi Sara
People used to think that maggots  were spontaneously generated until Pasteur finally proved that to be false. When the larvae hatch from fly eggs the are extremely small and migrate to some source with the smell of food. Since I am not there in your basement I cannot tell you where they came from or why they were on the lid. They had to come from somewhere else. At any rate they will be gone in a day or so. If you see more you will have to locate the source.

walter

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz