Entomology (Study of Bugs)/mysterious striped bug with red abdomen

Question
Hi!  Normally I don't freak out over bugs, but I think this was the same one that I found crawling down my hair onto my face yesterday. I flung it down onto the rug, and then lost track of it. Well, it came back today, crawling right next to my computer. Unfortunately, I freaked out and squished and then flushed it, but I was seriously heebie-jeebied out. It sort of looked like a cross between a spider and a fly, but moved more like a fly. It was the size of a large fly, and it had stripes on top, and a red abdomen. It looked...tough, kinda like those jumping spiders. Yesterday, when I felt it on my face and got it in my fingers, it felt strong, and it pushed against my fingers.  I live in central California, and my house is under a huge pine tree and a huge oak tree, so maybe that helps? Sorry I flushed it...

Answer
Robin:

I'm sorry, but nothing comes to mind from your description.  Text descriptions are always difficult because as an entomologist I have a catalog of characters I run through and it never matches what the person is trying to convey.  For example, *your* stripes could be what I consider "bands."  Stripes to me are vertical, from front to back, whereas bands are horizontal, from side to side.  Not *that* many insects have stripes, but thousands of species have bands.

So, I'm afraid I can't help you on this one.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton