Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Predatory insect

Question
Earlier this week I was at an east Mesa Arizona store at 9:30 PM

As I crossed the parking lot I noticed a largish - approximately 3" long -insect flitting through the cone of light beneath the parking lot light - it was obviously preying on insects drawn to the light

It was bi winged, quick & agile

It had a thickish tubular body - the wingspan appeared to be the same 3" as the body length

Any ideas as to what it was

Thanks for your time and consideration

Answer
Marlin:

Without seeing at least an image of the creature, I can only hazard a guess:

Praying mantis (yes, they can fly, at least the males)

Antlion (see my blog post here:  http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/10/doodlebugs-antlions.html)

Both are often attracted to lights at night....but so are some cicadas, katydids...

In short, it is pretty difficult to give you an answer with the rather limited information provided.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton