Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Small insects found in diaper genie

Diaper bugs
Diaper bugs  
The last few times we have emptied our sons diaper genie we have found a number of small insects in and around the bag. They are roughly flea-sized, and don't appear to have wings. Strangely enough, they are always dead when we find them, so it would be hard to accurately categorize their coloring when alive, but dead they have a light to medium brown color. I haven't seen them anywhere else in the house, alive or dead. My main concern would be that they are somehow coming from his feces, more so than if they are simply attracted to them. I have attached a picture, but due to their size and the limitations of my camera, it is of rather poor quality. I have included a penny in the shot to give it scale. Thanks in advance for your response.

Thanks for including the image, but there is not nearly enough detail for me to make even a reasonably accurate ID.

I sincerely doubt these insects constitute any kind of health issue, to put your mind at ease.

There are a great many beetles (and moths) that are "stored product pests" in most households across the country.  They infest all manner of dried animal products, spices, and grains (collectively).  This is the category your tiny insects likely fall into.

You can browse this image database and see if you recognize anything:

So, bottom line, no pun intended, is that the beetles are harmless to your child, pets, and the rest of your family.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.