Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Tiny bugs on my fence

Question
tiny bugs
tiny bugs  

tiny bugs 2
tiny bugs 2  
There are hundreds or thousands of these tiny bugs on my fence. They are smaller than the size of a pinhead. If you knock on the fence, they come out in many numbers. I've only seen them on my fence, not in the grass, plants, or on my stucco house.

Answer
Joanna,

I can't see much detail but these look like oribatid mites, a very common (and harmless) soil mite. Unless the board was in contact with the ground I'm not sure why they have taken up residence on your fence. From the condition of the end grain it appears that the fence has been wet which is a requirement for these mites. No treatment is needed, they won't hurt the fence.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis