Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Insect, need help identifying

Question
Unknown bug
Unknown bug  
My brother has found a bug that we have never seen before. We have asked a few people if they know what it is and no one has any idea what it is. So just wondering if maybe you could help identify this bug.

Answer
Hi, Kate:

It would help to know the context of *where* you found it.  Was it in water?  Near water?  In the soil?

I think it is probably the larva of a horse fly, family Tabanidae, but most of those are aquatic rather than terrestrial:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/624110

Certainly *some* kind of fly larva in any event.  It is very difficult to identify most larval insects from images alone, so please keep that in mind.  Thank you.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton