Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Insect, need help identifying

Unknown bug
Unknown bug  
My brother has found a bug that we have never seen before. We have asked a few people if they know what it is and no one has any idea what it is. So just wondering if maybe you could help identify this bug.

Hi, Kate:

It would help to know the context of *where* you found it.  Was it in water?  Near water?  In the soil?

I think it is probably the larva of a horse fly, family Tabanidae, but most of those are aquatic rather than terrestrial:

Certainly *some* kind of fly larva in any event.  It is very difficult to identify most larval insects from images alone, so please keep that in mind.  Thank you.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.