Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What Wasp is This?

1 - Unknown Wasp on False Poinsettia.JPG
1 - Unknown Wasp on Fa  
Hi, Eric.  I bought your book "Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America" probably last year.  I didn't know you had a website.  I ran across it in my research of trying to find out the exact name of this wasp.  I think it is a paper wasp in the Polistes family, but I cannot find an image that quite matches it in my web searches.  I will attach a photo.  I hope you will be able to clarify what it is.  I so enjoy your book!
Mrs. Sue Smith

Hi, Sue:

Thanks for the compliments on the book....

I think your wasp is Polistes apachus , though I haven't kept up with the latest revision of the genus.

You can't really go by color and pattern very well when it comes to most of the paper wasps.  They are just too variable geographically and individually.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.