Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug

Question
PEST BUG
PEST BUG  
Eric,
My daughter is finding this bug around her apt.  She moved across the states 8 months ago, her stuff was in storage for over a month, then was in transport for about a week.  She recently is finding these all over, some alive crawling in laundry room, on furniture, in cabinets, some dead on floor.  She cleaned the whole kitchen head to toe an then found two more the next day.  She is just wanting to identify it an find out how to get rid of them, very annoying to her at this point. Can you help? She does not know if they came with her stuff from storage, or possibly something already here in her apt.

Carol

Answer
Hi, Carol:

I never received e-mail notification that your question was pending, so apologies for the delay in replying....

The image certainly depicts a beetle of some sort, but does not give enough detail to make a conclusive ID.  My best guess is that it is a "flour beetle" in the genus Tribolium .

Here's an excellent web page with more information.  Scroll down for "management" suggestions:

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/beetles/red_flour_beetle.htm

Here's another page:

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/flour-beetle

and "pantry pests" in general:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/pantrypests304.shtml

These should be helpful.  Most tiny beetles found indoors fall into the "stored product pests" category and can be prevented and controlled in the same manner, without use of pesticides.  Best wishes to your daughter for a successful outcome.  Enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton