Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug

My daughter is finding this bug around her apt.  She moved across the states 8 months ago, her stuff was in storage for over a month, then was in transport for about a week.  She recently is finding these all over, some alive crawling in laundry room, on furniture, in cabinets, some dead on floor.  She cleaned the whole kitchen head to toe an then found two more the next day.  She is just wanting to identify it an find out how to get rid of them, very annoying to her at this point. Can you help? She does not know if they came with her stuff from storage, or possibly something already here in her apt.

Hi, Carol:

I never received e-mail notification that your question was pending, so apologies for the delay in replying....

The image certainly depicts a beetle of some sort, but does not give enough detail to make a conclusive ID.  My best guess is that it is a "flour beetle" in the genus Tribolium .

Here's an excellent web page with more information.  Scroll down for "management" suggestions:

Here's another page:

and "pantry pests" in general:

These should be helpful.  Most tiny beetles found indoors fall into the "stored product pests" category and can be prevented and controlled in the same manner, without use of pesticides.  Best wishes to your daughter for a successful outcome.  Enjoy the upcoming holidays.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.