Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug identity

small bug
small bug  
I found several of these on my son's bed and one on the floor. we live in Texas.  The larger ones are brown but there was a smaller one that was yellowish.  We have dogs. but I don't think they are ticks.  So, I am not sure what they are.

Dear Rose - What you have is a bug in the family Cimicidae, most likely either a human bed bug (Cimex lectularius) or the closely related bat bug (Cimex pilosellus); the distinguishing characters (see http://tinyurl.com/px9t5mx) cannot be seen in your image. See http://tinyurl.com/qnz3oz for more detailed information, including control recommendations.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.