Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bugs in bathroom

Bug top
Bug top  

bug bottom
bug bottom  
I have recently noticed multiple tiny bugs in our bathroom, usually around the toilet seat area.  They do not seem to fly and are so small that they can only be seen close-up. I live in San Jose. Can you please help identify these bugs and suggest a strategy for getting rid of them? I am attaching 2 images- a close-up for detail
Thanks so much!

These are carpet beetle larvae, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for another picture. Also, that page explains how to look for the infestation. The larvae are harmless but may indicate an infestation in stored (or spilled) food, perhaps pet food.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology