Entomology (Study of Bugs)/green metalic bee (sweat bee?)

Question
Hi Walter, I live In southwest florida and I am constantly rescuing these little guys from my inground pool (no cage); I used to keep Honey Bees, so I know they importance of their having a water source, but I rescue about 20 of these a day! in opposed to maybe 2 or 3 Honey Bees......guess my question is....WHY SO MANY??...:)

Answer
Hi Nick
Many insects have cyclic populations. The best example is the cicadas that have 17 year and 13 year cycles. Insects that prey on them follow with cycles of their own.
Another insect is the grasshoppers. The Hymenoptera are no exception. My guess is that southwest Florida is at the peak of the sweat bee population

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz