Entomology (Study of Bugs)/green metalic bee (sweat bee?)

Hi Walter, I live In southwest florida and I am constantly rescuing these little guys from my inground pool (no cage); I used to keep Honey Bees, so I know they importance of their having a water source, but I rescue about 20 of these a day! in opposed to maybe 2 or 3 Honey Bees......guess my question is....WHY SO MANY??...:)

Hi Nick
Many insects have cyclic populations. The best example is the cicadas that have 17 year and 13 year cycles. Insects that prey on them follow with cycles of their own.
Another insect is the grasshoppers. The Hymenoptera are no exception. My guess is that southwest Florida is at the peak of the sweat bee population

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ