Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Moth Cocoon

Hi, I live in Puerto Rico! my 6yld son found a cocoon in the yard, at first I didn't know what it was did some research and found out it was a moth cocoon, my son was so excited that he wanted to keep it, so I asked him were he find it? it was under some very wet leaves. we took some and put it in a container with the cocoon. he was so into it, checking it every min. on the 3rd day he got up in the morning and went to check it right away and saw the moth took some pics and then released it! now he wants to learn more about it but I haven't been able to identify it! now I hope someone can give me some info! exactly what kind of Moth this is?

Hi Pedro
I am always happy to see a young man who is interested in insects
It is hard tell from the photos but from the striped abdoman and underwing color I am almost sure this is a sphinx moth and quite likely the Ello Sphinx Moth Your son can look it up and find more about these moths

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ