Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Red Spider in Central Coast California

Question
Red Spider, huge fangs
Red Spider, huge fangs  
What type of spider is this? On humans the bite is quarter sized welt that is itchy and burns.. Hurts like hell.

Answer
Kari:

I never received e-mail notification that your question was pending, so apologies for the delayed response....

Unfortunately, your image does not provide nearly enough detail for me to give you an accurate identification.  The eye arrangement, configuration of the spinnerets, and external genitalia are all important characters that are not visible in the image.

Also, unless you actually *saw* the spider biting you (or family member or whoever), there is the strong possibility the injury occurred in some other way.  Spiders are wrongly blamed for all manner of wounds.

Please consider taking the spider to a local arachnologist (spider expert) at a natural history museum, university (UC Davis, UC Berkeley both have excellent entomology departments), or even the public health department (vector control will have at least one staff entomologist).  He or she can then put the specimen under a microscope and render a proper verdict.

Best wishes to whoever is injured for a speedy and permanent recovery!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton