Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Red spider, clear abdomen

Red spider, clear abdomen
Red spider, clear abdo  
Just wondering what type of spider this is in the attached photo. It was found in western oregon (myrtle creek), very rainy atmosphere lately and spotted in early morning, 11/25/14. I have never seen one here before so I'm just curious to know the type. Thank you! :-)

Hi, Kay:

The spider is a "hacklemesh weaver" in the genus Callobius , family Amaurobiidae.  They are extremely common in Oregon (I grew up in Portland), and generally make their webs on tree trunks, logs, or crevices on buildings.  Here's more about them:

Males may stray indoors looking for mates.  If I recall correctly, that usually happens in spring, in contrast to the fall mating season for most spiders.  Yours looks like a female or immature.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.