Entomology (Study of Bugs)/How harmful can bugs be?

Recently I was sleeping at night but on a mattress placed on the floor of a new house and an insect that looks exactly like the brown tiny bug entered into my ears, I didn't know there was something inside I thought I was developing an ear problem, it was painful but it came out alive in the morning . It left an irritating feeling and mild pain and something like a husk, I don't know, came out when it was washed from the hospital. How harmful can bugs be to the ear especially when they spend a whole night in the ear? Though  still feeling some slight pain.

Hello Jackline,

I cannot give you an identification with the information you have provided. Can you describe the insect? Did it have wings? Any recognizable markings or features? Do you have a photo?

I am not sure how much harm it caused you, but it sounds traumatic. I am sorry to hear about your awful experience. However, without more information about what insect it was and what they found at the hospital, I can't be very useful to you. Did it bite you? Did it damage your tympanic membrane? If I were you, I would follow the advice the doctors gave you. If you still feel discomfort, you should call them to let them know and get further advice.

Good luck,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior