Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of bug is this?

Question
Bug
Bug  
I have never seen these bugs before in my life. I have lived in my current home for 10 years and this is the first time I have seen these. They have been crawling around on the railing of my deck for the last week, kind of like ants.

Answer
Hi Mike
Nice photo. This interesting little bug is a Globular Springtail of the Order Symphypleoma. It is related to the Order Collembola. Sprintails are sporadic in nature and show up briefly in large numbers and then disappear. They might never appear on your deck for years. As a matter of fact I have never seen a live specimen. They feed on fungus spores and bacteria and are quite harmless. Springtails are the most numerous insects on Earth. Google the Order Symphypleona to see more info and photos

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz