Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this a mite, a beetle or?

Question
TopView
TopView  

Bottom_View
Bottom_View  
Hi Joe, I found this in my linen closet and was hoping you could identify it. Something has been biting my housemate but a bedbug dog did not detect the presence of that insect. In terms of Size, this  insect is about the size of the letter "B" on a dime. Thanks in advance.

- JD

Answer
Jamie,

This is a spider beetle. They don't bite but can sometimes be a minor pest of stored foods. They are especially common in older buildings and for some reason I get a lot of questions from NYC in particular. They are completely harmless and can be ignored. For comparison here's a picture of a bed bug http://www.livingwithbugs.com/bed_bug.html that might be helpful.

Jack DeAngelis

PS Who is Joe? :)  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis