Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Please help me identify this bug

Question
Bug
Bug  
My friend found this bug sitting on a wall in front of our townhouse. She was morbidly fascinated by how big it was. I couldn't identify it (I'm a truck driver not an entomologist), so I took a picture of it for later identification. We live in Southern California. If you can help me figure out what it is I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance for taking the time out of your day to read and answer my question. (there's nothing in the picture for a size reference, but the insect was about the length of a house key; maybe slightly longer)

Joe

Answer
Hi Joe,

Great photo! Thanks for the question.

That is a Potato Bug, also called a Jerusalem Cricket. They are not from Jerusalem, so their common name is misleading. They are in the genus Stenopelmatus. They are not poisonous, and don't often bite (although they CAN bite because they have very strong mandibles).

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger