Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is my house bug?

Beetle top
Beetle top  

Beetle bottom
Beetle bottom  
What is this house beetle?  It seems to be mostly located by my windows but have found a few else where.  Seem to be more active in the milder months - not much activity in the Winter.  About 6-8mm ish.

Dear Jo - This appears to be a true bug (Hemiptera/Heteroptera) in the family Lygaeidae, see http://tinyurl.com/n8cabue for an example (not the same species as yours). Bugs such as these often enter buildings in search of overwintering shelter, but do no harm there. If you fins them annoying, simply vacuum them up and dispose in the trash.

Hope this helps,

p.s - Hope you haven't been affected by the awful flooding in the Levels - images on BBC look dreadful...

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.