Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Katydids in wintertime?

Question
I thought you might be more familiar with this since you are from Texas.

I am in Houston and this past week, I think Katydids have finally come out. The insects I hear have a long, constant, ear-splitting buzz and they seem to be mainly in the long grass banks of the bayous here. Would this be considered really early for these insects to be out??

Answer
John:

Normally, insects stay in some sort of dormancy until spring in Texas.  HOWEVER, when temperatures turn exceedingly warm, we will see insects emerging that don't normally appear this early.  Insects like butterflies, katydids and the like will emerge on very warm days.  Unfortunately, most of these early "birds" don't survive because cold snaps are certain to occur in February before consistently warm temperatures are the norm.

Great question!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Nathan Riggs