Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Red and black bug

Question
Black and red bug
Black and red bug  
Hi Jack

The attached picture of the red and black bur was found near the beach in Mauritius, island in the Indian Ocean.  I would like to know the name and whether it is a dangerous insect.

Kind regards
Leena

Answer
Leena,

I can't give you a species name but these are true bugs (Hemiptera) possibly the family Rhopalidae. In the US a related species is the boxelder bug (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/boxelder.html for a picture). This is a mating pair, attached end to end, which is why it looks odd. They are probably harmless but to be honest I'm not all that familiar with the bugs in Mauritius.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis