Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Red and black bug

Black and red bug
Black and red bug  
Hi Jack

The attached picture of the red and black bur was found near the beach in Mauritius, island in the Indian Ocean.  I would like to know the name and whether it is a dangerous insect.

Kind regards

I can't give you a species name but these are true bugs (Hemiptera) possibly the family Rhopalidae. In the US a related species is the boxelder bug (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/boxelder.html for a picture). This is a mating pair, attached end to end, which is why it looks odd. They are probably harmless but to be honest I'm not all that familiar with the bugs in Mauritius.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology