Entomology (Study of Bugs)/small red worm?

Question
I found a red worm under my pillow about an hour after I got up, when I went to make the bed. I am so sorry I don't have a picture. I scooped it up in a yogurt container and then thought of taking a picture. I placed the worm on a piece of white paper and realized my camera was across the room. By the time I returned (about 20 seconds max) the worm was gone.

Description: Curled S-shape like a worm. Very thin dark red body (about like string) with clear beigish appendages, either cilia or legs, all along its sides.About 3 inches in length, 1/4 inch in width counting the appendages. At one end (head or tail?) there was a triangular section of tissue, more pinkish than the rest. There is a plant about a foot away from the bed; it has been inside for four months.

Thank you for your help!

Answer

Hi, Tina:

Sounds like you are describing either a centipede or a millipede.  

Considering how fast it escaped, I am thinking a soil centipede in the order Geophilomorpha:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/21

These are not dangerous animals in any way.  I suppose it could have come in with the plant, as you surmise.  Not sure how else it could have found its way indoors.  These are normally subterranean creatures.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton