Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spider identification

spider one
spider one  

spider two
spider two  
Can you help me identify these spiders:

Hi Carol,

Thank you for the great photos. The first spider is a Goldenrod Crab Spider (Misumena vatia). The second spider I believe is a Giant House Spider (Eratigena atrica), but identification requires examining the spider under a microscope. If it is a web builder, then it is either a Giant House Spider or a Hobo spider. If it is a predator and you didn't find any web, it could also be a wolf spider. However, I would be willing to bet that it is a Giant House Spider. I hope this helps.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior