Entomology (Study of Bugs)/tiny bugs

QUESTION: We live in florida. We left for a few months and after returning a few weeks later we noticed these tiny bugs in and around the bath sink. killed them and a few days later around a hundred in the sink. Husband killed them and flushed drain with baking soda and vinegar. We keep the trap shut but still see a few now and then, last night we found them in the corner of the medicine cabinet, 50 or more. My husband said they look like tiny ants  but cant figure where they are coming in from. Never had this problem for 24 year since we built this house..Can you give us any help which we need.. Thank You...Robert and Candy

ANSWER: Candy,

Can you post a picture? Or even a description (size, color, shape, antennae?, how are they moving). Did they appear to hop or jump? Post a follow up.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: They just look like tiny ants. They scatter trying to kill them, but they do bunch up, like what we had in the sink and last night in the medicine cabinet. they bunched up behind a box of of bandaids. They are fast, they don't jump just flee into any small crack or behind anything.. The biggest ones are probably 1/16 as we have seen and small as a pencil tip.. But only in the bath room thankful for that.

ANSWER: Try putting out a drop of 50% honey/50% water mixture on a piece of waxed paper. If they are ants they should start feeding. Let me know if you notice them feeding at this drop.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Mr DeAngelis, I am hoping you get this pic. I have more if needed. Thank You..

These do look like ants. Have you tried the feeding experiment? There are a number of different ants that infest homes. One tiny species is the ghost ant (see http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/ants/ghost_ant.htm). To get a definitive species identification you'll need to collect a few and take them to your county Extension office (extension.org), they will send the sample to the university. Baits can effective for control of most species, see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/ant_control.html for some choices.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology