Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this?

Question
bug in shower
bug in shower  
QUESTION: I found this in my shower (after I had gotten out after showering).  It was struggling to climb up the shower pan.  Eventually it was gone so I don't know if it climbed over or went down the drain.  I also found another similar-looking bug in my kitchen.  What is this?
Thank you.

ANSWER: Janine:

I hate to break it to you, but this is the nymph (juvenile, immature stage) of a cockroach.  Hard to tell what kind without examining the specimen itself.  My guess would be an American Cockroach, Periplaneta americana .  Here is a great web page about urban cockroaches and their control:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7467.html

Pay special attention to the part that cautions against using chemical sprays.  Baits are far more effective.  They may take longer, but the effects are essentially permanent (unless roaches are once again introduced to a residence).

I once employed bait traps myself, but was shocked to read the label and find it was not recommended for use in households where a pregnant woman is residing.  So, do READ THE LABEL if you attempt to do pest control yourself.  Failure to comply with proper application is not only dangerous, but breaks the law.

I would not panic, but make sure that foodstuffs are properly stored.  This includes pet food.

Eric

QUESTION: Eric,
Thank you, and yuck.  For the first 6 years of our marriage we lived in a multiple-unit dwelling and learned how to properly store foods.  I will re-check all my foods to see how they are stored.  We have the dog food in a large airtight container, but we have a dog that grazes all day long so we must always keep food in her bowl.  I don't see a way around that.

No one is pregnant, nursing, or anything like that, so I should go to a hardware store and search for some bait traps.  We have a crawl space.  Should I put some down there in addition to inside the residence?
Janine

Answer
Janine:

I like that you have a sense of humor about this ("Thank you, and yuck."). :-)

I would not bother with the crawlspace.  I'd tuck the baits into cupboard corners and such where curious pets or toddlers can't easily get to them....

Before I even started baiting I would look in dark recesses of the kitchen by day and make sure you really have a population worthy of taking *any* action.  Why spend money and time if it is just an odd specimen showing up now and then?

Take care, good luck.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton