Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bugs in new house

Question
Bug
Bug  
We just moved to a house that is eight years old. we keep it in very clean condition. I have found a couple of these bugs in the pantry and on my counter. we have no carpet in our house. what is this? is it a harm to us or our newborn baby? and what can we do to get rid of it?
Thank you so much!

Answer
Dear Esther - This is a carpet beetle (Coleoptera: Dermestidae); likely a varied carpet beetle, Anthrenus verbasci. In spite of their name, carpet beetle larvae will feed on an extremely wide variety of organic materials in addition to an woolen/silk fabrics, such as feathers, dry stored food products (including dry pet food), and any dead insects such as may be found behind baseboards or in light fixtures. The adult beetles themselves are harmless pollen feeders that may be accidentally brought indoors on flowers. See http://tinyurl.com/yun78p for detailed information including control recommendations.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad