Entomology (Study of Bugs)/found this in my basement early morning

I think it's a cockroach and the husband says it's not. I have more pictures if needed.

Dear Kelly:

The winner!  Yes, it is a cockroach, and a nymph (immature, juvenile, "baby").  Pretty difficult to determine species at this stage of their development.

I would not panic unless I start seeing several more.  In that event, consider baits made with boric acid.  You can even concoct a mixture yourself.  Baits are much more effective, and longer-lasting, than sprays (and less toxic, too).

Please consult websites with a ".edu" suffix on the URL for unbiased advice.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it might not even be a domestic pest species.  There are many native cockroach species that live almost exclusively outdoors but occasionally find their way into homes.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.