Entomology (Study of Bugs)/help with identification and where to get further identification assistance if needed

Hello, I have a lot of pictures and it makes it hard to know which would help you best with I.D.  I would value your best approximation of what this larvae is.   I'm thinking scabies or flies, but I've also considered fleas and bedbugs.  Very very cool evolution,  but not when it's in my backyard.  Please give me some information.  Thank you.

Dear Pam - I am sorry, but it is impossible for me to offer a definitive i.d. from your image; I cannot even tell if they are insects at all. If you have other images, please attach some to a follow-up question, and also provide ancillary information such as their approximate size and the circumstances under which you found them (e.g. - on/in soil, on plants, on yourself, in water, etc.). In the meantime, I can at least tell you that they are not scabies mites, fleas, or bed bugs, and most likely would not be flies.

Waiting to hear back,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.