Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Larvae in taxidermy alligator head.

Question
Larvae
Larvae  

Next to a ruler!
Next to a ruler!  
Hello Mr Eaton,

On a recent trip to Florida I bought a taxidermy alligator head. Now in the morning I sometimes find little beige larvae that have fallen out of a small whole in the head and landed on the table where I keep the head, there is also a sand like substance on the table as well. I'm sure there eating whatever is left inside the head! If you are able to identify the larvae and tell me are they dangerous to pets, as I have a dog, and can I get rid of them?

Thank you for your time and assistance on this matter.

James Houlihan

Answer
James:

Well, these are not what I expected.  I suspected carpet beetle larvae (family Dermestidae), but these are clearly something else.  

I imagine they are probably larvae of deathwatch beetles (family Anobiidae), but it would take putting them under a microscope to be certain.  I wonder if the alligator head skin was stretched over wood, because wood is what many deathwatch beetles bore into.

Anyway, they pose absolutely *no* health threat to you, your family, or pets.

Considering that you are in the UK, and the taxidermy mount is from the U.S., I do suggest freezing and thawing the object over the course of about a month (freeze a week, thaw for two, freeze again....).  That *should* kill any remaining larvae, eggs, pupae, adult beetles.

I might also consult the local office of your national agricultural agency and/or customs to get their advice.

Lastly, and personally, I would not traffic in wildlife products.  Demand for such objects creates problems for living, breathing populations, obviously, and we should collectively be valuing the living creature, not its hide or head.  I'm not judging you by any means, but others will read this answer and perhaps think twice, too.  Another great problem is the one illustrated by your question:  Insects can hitchhike on all kinds of organic products, then become serious pests in foreign countries.

Thank you for sharing this strange find.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton