Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Is it a leech or a worm

I am trying to find out what bit my foot last summer during the rainy season in the Phu Quoc island in Vietnam.
I dont know if this creature had been attached to my foot for a long time or it just took a bite and let go.
The size of it is just about 5 cetimeters long.
We showed this picture to a waitor at the hotel and asked if it was dangerous. He said yes.. (I dont think he understood English very well.)

Best regards,

This is a terrestrial flatworm (planarian). They are predators on other soft-bodies creatures such as earthworms, and are harmless to humans. See for additional information (the species shown may not be identical to yours).
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.