Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Who am I ?

Cropped image
Cropped image  
I found this little guy in my apt bathroom around 9am. I live in Washington DC and the building is 9 years old and I've been living here for a year, this is maybe 1 of 5 bugs I've ever seen in my place. (Knock on wood) I'd just like to know what it is and if it's anything I should be concerned about or paying closer attention in case  it ends up needing further care/treatment.

Hi, Krystle:

Thank you for including the images with your question.  I can easily tell that what you have there are "spider beetles," probably this species:

I would classify them as a "nuisance" at worst, certainly not a health hazard for you, your family, or your pets.

I might want to discard any infested food products, though, as infestations can reflect, or lead to, potential mold issues, especially in a humid climate like you have there.

Thanks for your concern and your willingness to do research before trying to eradicate the insects in some inappropriate fashion (I get lots of "shoot first, ask questions later" queries :-)

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.